Mumbai: 18-year-old girl from Mumbai’s Dharavi died on Sunday after she brushed her teeth with rat poison mistaking the tube for that of toothpaste. The bizarre incident occurred around 10 am on September 3, when Afsana Khan got up to brush her teeth as usual.
She mistakenly picked up a tube of rat poison cream kept beside the toothpaste tube and brushed her teeth with it. However, after realizing the difference in the taste and smell, she spit out the paste and rinsed her mouth.
As she felt fine, she went about her usual routine, but after sometime, she got dizzy. Fearing a scolding from her family, she kept popping some medicines as she felt uneasy with severe stomach aches, but got no respite and was taken to at least three private and public hospitals without any improvement in her health condition.
Also Read: Indian shooter found dead at home
With steadily deteriorating health, and a grilling by her mother, she finally revealed to the family members of the blunder and they rushed her to Sir JJ Hospital for treatment on September 12.
However, despite all attempts to save her, Afsana breathed her last that evening, stunning her family comprising her parents, an elder sister and two younger brothers, besides the people in the locality. The police recorded the statements of her family on the incident and have registered an accidental death report.