When temperatures drop, mice will begin to enter homes to find food, water, and shelter from the cold. These small rodents often carry disease and can cause extreme damage to your home, so it’s imperative that you address the problem immediately, even if you see only a single mouse in your home.
Here are Simple Homemade Remedies to get rid of mice
1. Traditional snap traps: Armed with a basic spring-loaded bar to crush the mouse, snap traps are effective, but sometimes fail to fully kill the mouse, injuring a limb instead. If you use this type of trap, make sure to keep it away from pets and children to reduce the risk of injury.
2. Peppermint essential oil: Though just a temporary fix and a stopgap measure, mice do not enjoy peppermint. Place 5-10 droplets of peppermint oil on cotton balls and place them around potential mouse entryways, like doors and kitchen cabinets.
3. Glue traps: These traps are strips of paper with a sticky substance on them, similar to the material on fly paper. Even though these traps will not kill the mouse, this is not necessarily a humane option.
4. Bait stations: This method is designed to kill mice inside and outside of your home. Mice crawl into the traps, consume poisonous bait blocks, and then return to their nest, where they die. The Tomcat Mouse Killer Refillable Bait Station can kill up to 12 mice with one pellet and are designed to resist tampering by children and pets.
5. Dryer sheets: Placing dryer sheets around your home can get rid of mice because their scent overpowers a mouse’s senses. Remember to replace the sheets once the odor fades or mice could use them for their nests.