A heart breaking incident took place in Uttar Pradesh Bareilly district in which an 8-month-old baby died when the phone’s battery exploded while the mobile was charging. The phone was purchased only six months ago. It was noticed that the battery was already swollen, although it was kept on charging. Mobile Battery Blast, 8-month-old baby dies.
Kusum Kashyap, mother of the baby Neha, was not in the room at the time of the explosion. She rushed in after hearing a loud noise and cries for help from her other daughter Nandini. The baby had suffered serious burn injuries and died during treatment in the hospital in Uttar Pradesh. Police said no complaint had been lodged so far but it was a case of negligence by the parents.
The father of the child, Suneel Kumar Kashyap, 30, is a labourer and lives in an under-construction house without a power connection. His family uses a solar plate and a battery for lighting and charging mobile phones. Sunil went to work while his housewife wife Kusuma was at home with their daughters.
After dinner, Kusum had put her daughters to bed separately, with the phone charging next to where the little one was sleeping. “I never thought that my mobile phone could be fatal to my daughter, otherwise I would not have kept it there,” she said in tears. Ajay Kumar, Sunil’s brother, said, We are very poor, still using keypad phones.
The phone is charging using the USB cable but the adapter is not connected, that’s why it exploded. My brother did not have much money for Neha’s treatment in a private hospital, otherwise her life could have been saved. Harveer Singh, SHO of Faridpur Police Station said, “Our investigation has revealed that the child was injured due to mobile blast.”