The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued a list of holidays for the month of September previously. As per the official RBI list of bank holidays, there were a total of six official holidays for lenders across the nation.
In addition to this, there were also five-weekend leaves that were applicable. With the first holiday passing by on Wednesday, the total number of leaves left for lenders this month stands at 10 days off. The original list before the beginning of the month stood at 12 holidays.
Thursday marked the celebration of yet another holiday, Teej (Haritalika), which was an off for banks in Gangtok only. The bank holidays list issued by the RBI for every month is a mix of state-wise leaves, religious events as well as festival celebrations. However, the apex bank does have official classifications for these leaves.
For the calendar month of September, the list of holidays has been classified under the bracket, ‘Holiday under Negotiable Instruments Act’. It has other classifications as well and these are ‘Holiday under Negotiable Instruments Act and Real Time Gross Settlement Holiday’ and ‘Banks’ Closing of Accounts’, however, these don’t apply for this month n particular.
The final list of holidays, weekends included, started on September 5, seeing as it was the first Sunday of the month. The RBI mandated leaves, on the other hand, began on September 8, which was Tithi of Srimanta Sankardeva, which was an off for banks in Guwahati.
Here is the full list of holidays for the month of September 2021, as per RBI mandate:
1) September 9 – Teej (Haritalika) – (Gangtok)
2) September 10 – Ganesh Chaturthi/Samvatsari (Chaturthi Paksha)/Vinayakar Chathurthi/Varasiddhi Vinayaka Vrata – (Ahmedabad, Belapur, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Nagpur, Panaji)
3) September 11 – Second Saturday / Ganesh Chaturthi (2nd day) – (Panaji)
4) September 12 – Sunday
5) September 17 – Karma Puja – (Ranchi)
6) September 19 – Sunday
7) September 20 – Indrajatra – (Gangtok)
8) September 21 – Sree Narayana Guru Samadhi Day – (Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram)
9) September 25 – Fourth Saturday
10) September 26 – Sunday.